Review: Hudson Taylor Live @ Scala, London 25.01.2018

I remember finding Irish brothers Hudson Taylor about five years ago on ITunes when Drop of Smoke was made available as a free song. I took a punt and fell in love with the track, immediately buying both their available EPs whilst eagerly waiting for new music and the opportunity to see them on tour. Fast forward to 2018 we're three EPs and debut album in and this is now the fifth time that I've seen them live. 

No regrets. 

The gigs have allowed me to introduce my friends to the band and share in that unique gigging experience that brings a bunch of random people together to jump around and sing yourself silly, basking in the music.  

Both Harry and Alfie play their guitars throughout, supported by a full band and and by full I mean FULL, harmonicas, flutes and a MELODICA included, that give you the feeling you're down a local pub having a couple drinks and everyone is in the mood dancing and singing along. Except we're in a packed Scala and the smoke machines have successfully smoking the place out.  

The set was strong, mixing in classics from their first album and giving us a taste of the new music. Opening number Travellin' brought us all right back into their music, with Alfie's powerful leading vocals supported by Harry softer sultry undertones that really harmonize soooo well together. They are a perfect match and i love the way that they play and sing together. A lot of the time singers can almost loose their accents whilstsinging, but here both their vocals carry that beautiful Irish lilt that blends in so well and gives you an edge on a song. Travellin' flowed in old classics Care, Open Up and Butterflies, amping the crowd up for those sing along moments. What I love about these songs is the more you listen the more you really hear the lyrics and the darker undertones in them , painting such a story.  
 
It can always be difficult to preview new music to a crowd. you don't know how they'll react, it can also create a lull because they won;t know the words. That is unless you start with an uptempo revenge song called 'Easy baby' that had me singing a long by the end of the song. 
One in a million by contrast was a more intimate moment in the show with the boy and band using one microphone that reinforced that local pub feeling that created a focal point where everyone's'attention was fixated on the song. Old soul was a combination of the two, very old school rock pop that hints in a new direction but one that is still inherently Hudson Taylor. 


You can feel the lads Irish heritage in everything they do, especially in the music. I love a good violin so my heart soared at the BEAUTiful introduction to World Without You, it reminded me of all the Celtic music that I used to Irish dance to and I was here for it! It just got me so much more involved in World Without You, which is a great mid tempo about love and longing that lead perfectly into the empowering Don't Tell Me anthem and Chasing Rubies. At this point I'm so involved in singing along why not bring another sing along in with Pray for the Day which the crowd got behind wholeheartedly chanting along. 

The set ended with new single Run with Me, which contains the very apt lyric "now we're gonna set fire to last year" a sentiment I'm sure we can all agree with. It's a fun song that promises of good things and new music coming this year.

Annnnnnnd then the encore!! I said that Drop of Smoke was the first Hudson Taylor song I heard and as such its remained my favourite, its the one I wait for, its the one I go hardest on and one you need to listen to...at this point I'm jumping around and singing, my friend is looking at me like I'm a mad man and I'm buzzed, have a listen and feel what I feel



Rounding up with buzz single Feel It Again I was left ready and waiting for new music, new gigs and exciting things to come. Bravo lads another great show. Until the next time. 




Comments

Popular Posts