Book review: Clockwork City by Paul Crilley

Title: Clockwork City ( Delphic Division #2)
Author: Paul Crilley
Publishers: Hodder & Stoughton
Release Date: 14 Dec 2017

SynopsisCop. Drunkard. Low-grade magic user.
My name is Gideon Tau, but most people just call me London. (Because that's where I'm from. Get it? Hilarious.)
Three years ago, someone killed my daughter. I sacrificed everything (the human race included) to learn his name - and then had to allow that knowledge to be erased from my mind in order to save the world I'd doomed. Fantastic.
Now I have to start over from scratch, and who do I have to help me find my daughter's killer? The reanimated corpse of my boss, a low-rent P.I. who's heavily into conspiracy theories, and my alcoholic, foul-mouthed demonic sidekick dog.
Our journey will take us from Durban, South Africa to London, England, where we'll have to contend with Fae gangs fighting for territory, the murder-suicide of two Delphic agents and the seven deadly sins.
Oh, and did I mention planning a heist to break into the most secure bank in Faerie? Because that's on the agenda too. And if we fail? An ancient horned god will destroy London. (The city, not me. Although, to be fair, I don't think I'll survive either)

Review:

I remember when the first book in the series, Poisoned City, was released and I was trying to avoid the hype. Why? Don't ask me. Eventually I took a plunge and boy did I dive deep into those waters. I fell in love and so was eagerly anticipating a follow up, a position I once again find myself in. 

This book has everything you or I could possibly want. Magic, with a hint of crime. A talking dog. No wait A drunk talking dog. A DRUNK TALKING DOG WITH MORE SASS THAN YOU CAN HANDLE. A boss that's come back from the dead and a whole host of monsters that aren't your traditional kind, being based off South African folklore. I like when I get to explore different cultures through my books and this is a great new voice in the fantasy spectrum. 

After the action and adventure of the first book, this book takes a step back and puts heart front and centre...and then packs in the action and adventure. Something is amiss in the state of London...well we knew that eh! But this times its a problem of the dark and demonic and there's only one band of misfits that can do something about it. 

Except to do this you have to break into one of the most guarded banks belonging to the Fae. There's a death warrant right there, who does that, the walls really do have eyes...and they're watching YOU!

There is also heart here. London is a driven character, broken yes, flawed yes, but driven. He has so much motivation to fight and to keep going that you root for him and you push forward with him. And it gave you emotions! That's not what I signed up for was it now! 

There was enough pace, action and comedy to keep me going end to end, and my only wish was that it was longer. Sign me up to the division, get me a badge a wand, whats a guy gotta do to fight crazy angels over here eh?!? I'm ready for my adventure...



Comments

Popular Posts